Before Your Visit
We are ecstatic that you have trusted SmileLYNN Pediatric Dentistry to provide your child with the dental care they need for a lifetime of optimal oral health. To ensure that both you and your child feel comfortable and have a successful and enjoyable experience at our office, we want to share some information to help you prepare before for your first visit.
In addition to printing and filling out all required new patient paperwork to ensure an efficient check-in and minimal waiting times, we recommend the following before your visit:
- Inform your child where they are going in a positive manner and tell them that the dentist will count their teeth and clean them with a special toothbrush.
- Try to respond to any questions your child may have and don’t know how to answer with: “I don’t know; we’ll have to ask the dentist when we get there.”
- If you need to communicate specifics of your child’s visit, be sure to refrain from any words such as “hurt”, “needle”, “shot”, etc. or telling them about any of your own negative experiences or anxieties involving the dentist. Some wording Dr. Lynn will utilize includes the following:
- “Sugar bugs” = cavities/bacteria
- “Sleepy juice” = local anesthesia to numb the area
- “Ice cream air” = nitrous oxide (laughing gas)
- “Mr. Whistle”/ “Special toothbrush” = handpiece or drill
- “Mouth pillow” = mouth prop or bite block
- If they seem scared, assure your child that you will be with them during their first visit, Dr. Lynn encourages parents to be apart of the process and they have the option of being in the treatment area for all exams, cleanings, and non-sedative dental treatment.
If you have any questions or are looking for more tips or advice about how you and your child can prepare for your visit, please don’t hesitate to contact our experienced and friendly dental team at SmileLYNN Pediatric Dentistry. We can’t wait to help your child smile!